Tod Whiting is the owner of Metro Boston Property Inspections and he has performed home inspections, mold inspections and radon tests since 1998. He loves working with first time home buyers!
Top Tips for Buying a Home
What is your biggest piece of advice you can give to someone trying to buy their first home now
- Get a team before looking at homes.
- Don’t look at a home before getting an agent because we are all impulse buyers and you may regret it. Get the help of an agent that can explain the process clearly to you
- Don’t waive the inspection to create a stronger offer because you won’t have the right to get out of it if you are not happy. Consider getting a pre-offer inspection even before putting an offer.
What have you seen are the top mistakes homebuyers make? How can they avoid them?
- Not knowing what you want on your home. Are you sure you want a fixer upper?
- They buy at the top of their budget they qualify for
- They waive the contingencies, for example the appraisal contingency. Don’t do that. You won’t be able to back out of your contract if your house doesn’t appraise to your offer value.
What are your top tips to win a bidding war in a competitive market?
- Create a great letter that explains sellers why you want to buy their home. Appeal to their emotions. Sometime not everything is about the money
Is there anything we can do for you?
- If you are buying a home inside the Boston area, get in touch with us!
Awesome Resources For First Time Home Buyers
- Visit our Resources For First Time Home Buyers page to help buy your home with confidence and save time and money.
- Educate and empower yourself with our awesome How To Buy A House Checklist.
- Save time with our Property Aggregator, because we help you keep all your favorite homes in one place and collaborate with others in your home search.